4.23.2008

A great weekend for music

I think that I saw the most incredible band this weekend. Nick and I were watching Austin City Limits and the artist was Femi Kuti. <...dramatic pause...> <...wait for it...> WOW! I can't remember seeing a tighter band of that size. There must have been at least fifteen people playing on stage. Fast tempos and complex melodies without a note missed, all while dancing on one foot! Absolutely amazing stuff!

On top of this, Nick went to Mad City Music Exchange for Record Store Day and came home with a bunch of CD samplers, a Ventures LP and a Toots & The Maytalls anthology. So Sunday I went music shopping. I'd hoped to find albums by Femi Kuti, his father Fela, and the new Marc Ribot album. I only found one Femi Kuti disc, but by luck I also found the first albums by Suicide and Gang of Four. Two albums I've always known I should have in my collection but never found when I was looking. All three albums are fantastic.

I also picked up tickets for the Tegan & Sarah show here in Madison on May 6th. Oh yeah, and next Monday I'm going to go see the band Prog. Man, music really is the best!

No comments: